Outstanding achievements help JCCs of North America build meaningful Jewish community. The JCCs of North America Excellence Awards honor exceptional efforts, and hold them up as examples so that all JCCs may learn from them.
The creativity and resourcefulness embodied in these achievements serve as an inspiration to all of us, and embody the vitality of the JCC Movement.
- Lay Leadership Excellence Awards
- Program and Operations Excellence Awards
- Marketing and Communications Excellence Awards
Guidelines for Submission
- Only affiliated JCCs, YM-YWHAs, and independent overnight camps in good standing may apply.
- Each JCC/Y/camp may submit one entry per lettered award category A – E and G – L, and up to three entries in category F (Programmatic Excellence and User Engagement). Following these guidelines, a JCC may submit up to 14 entries in total.
- The initiative must have been started or significantly improved since November 1, 2011.
- All entries should be submitted between July 22 and November 1, 2013, using the online application
You will be asked to submit the following information for each entry on the submission form. TELL THE STORY!
- Who was/is the lead staff person for this initiative?
- Indicate lay chair of the initiative (if applicable).
- In 75 words or less, describe the initiative in clear and compelling language. PLEASE NOTE: if your submission wins an award, this is the text that will be used to share your initiative with the world.
- WHY did you do it?
- What was the motivation behind this initiative? What was the problem, the challenge, the opportunity, etc., and what did you hope to accomplish for your JCC?
- HOW did you do it? What steps did you implement to solve the problem, meet the challenge, seize the opportunity? Please be sure to indicate the financial and human resources required, as well as key dates (when planning began, when program was launched, etc.).
- WHAT happened? What were the results? What has been the impact on your JCC, your staff, your community? Please provide metrics—the specific quantitative and qualitative criteria you used in evaluating the success of this effort—as appropriate.
- ADAPTABILITY: One of the key objectives for these awards is to provide resources for other JCCs to implement high quality programs and services already demonstrated successful in another JCC. Therefore those award submissions that more clearly articulate how their programs can be easily adapted in another JCC will be given stronger consideration.
- All fields are mandatory.
- Submission instructions:
- All materials, including any supporting files (video, photos, PDFs, etc.), must be submitted electronically.
- All award submissions are encouraged to submit hard copy collateral and supporting material via snail mail as well, if it is important to the program/service, and/or strengthens the submission.
- All Marketing submissions MUST snail mail (2) copies of submitted material, wherever applicable (printed materials, swag, and the like).
- When submitting hard copies, entrants should print their e-mailed receipt from the electronic submission, and include it with hard copy to ensure easy identification.Please mail any applicable collateral, supporting materials, and/or marketing materials, along with a print of the e-mailed receipt from your electronic submission to:Biennial Awards
520 Eighth Avenue, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10018Must be postmarked by November 1, 2013.
- All entries become property of JCC Association and may be used to promote JCCs of North America.
- Clarity of objectives
- Strategic excellence
- Connection to Jewish Life — priority will be given to initiatives that further the JCC’s primary purpose, as detailed in the JCC Movement Vision & Statement of Principles for the 21st Century. Visit www.jcca.org/commentary/ for the complete text.
- Effectiveness – please include as many metrics as possible
- Adaptability for use by other JCCs
- Branding (where appropriate): the extent to which any collateral materials reflect the JCC Movement brand.
Who will be judging my entries?
JCC Association staff. Your entries will be held in strict confidence.
How many entries may I submit?
Each JCC, YM-YWHA, or independent overnight camp may submit up to 14 entries. You may submit one entry for each of the lettered categories A-E and G-L, and up to three entries for category F.
How can I make sure you have received my entries?
If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail following your submission, please e-mail email@example.com.
When and how will the winners be announced?
Winners will be notified in February, 2014 and honored in March at Biennial 2014 in San Diego. Zahav award-winning entries will be featured at the Biennial and at the 2015 JCCs of North America Professional Conference. Zahav award and Kol Ha Kavod award-winning entries will be listed on the 2014 Biennial website and on
All award winners will receive certificates at the Biennial and your delegation can be photographed with them by the Biennial photographer.